Tenant FAQs
As a prospective tenant, what do I need to do to rent property?

First thing to do is to identify a property that will meet your needs. The next step is to contact our office (909-289-2475) to arrange a viewing; all principals should be available at the viewing.

Once you have determined that you like the property, we will ask you to complete a rental application. You can complete this application by downloading it and printing it out or you can complete the on-line form. This application must be completed in full and then faxed 951-344-8281 or brought to our office so that we may process it. Make sure to have one filled out by each individual over the age of eighteen (18) who will be residing on the property.

To process your application we will run a credit check through a major credit company. There is an application fee of $30 per adult that will be the principals residing in the home, or co-signer(s). Applicant should/must provide proof of income at time application is submitted. Please submit to us copies of your pay stubs when submitting an application. Rental history and/or mortgage payment history will also be verified as part of the application approval process. If all information is verified satisfactorily, then we will place you in the home you have selected.

What about application fees and deposits?

There is a non-refundable application fee of $30.00 per person or married couple that will be the principals. This fee is to cover our credit screening processing cost and is non refundable.

Once the application is complete, the screening process is completed, the property will be offered to you. Most applications can be processed in two or three days.
At this time, 1st month’s rent is due and payable.
The security deposit, equal to one months rent as well as any pet deposits or special deposits are due upon move in.

How does the screening process work?

The screening process involves California Realty Experts Property Management conducting a credit, residential, employment, and criminal background check.

What is involved in residential screening?

California Realty Experts Property Management will contact the applicant's previous landlords and obtain oral or written references as to the applicant's payment history, late payment, damages, pet history and other related factors that pertain to tenancy. Applicants with a pet must have an appropriate pet reference as to the condition of the property where the pet has previously resided. You must place contact name and contact numbers for your previous landlords on the rental application or we will be unable to process your application.

If the applicant was a previous homeowner and does not have a prior landlord, we will review the mortgage payment history to confirm payment history. Please provide mortgage company name and contact information when you complete the application.

What is involved in employment screening?

California Realty Experts Property Management will contact your present and previous employers to obtain oral or written references for employment dates and salary. You must place the contact names and numbers of your previous employers on your rental application or we will not be able to process it. If you are a new hire and relocating, bring your "Offer of Employment Letter" with you when you complete the application. Applicant's current income should be at least three times the rental amount. The income of all principals is used to obtain the total household income.

For self-employed and non-employment income we verify sources and amounts: tax returns, bank and business references, government documents, etc.

What is involved in credit screening?

The screening process includes running a credit report on individuals and a joint credit report on married couples. California Realty Experts Property Management uses one of the three major credit-reporting agencies to conduct this process.

If California Realty Experts Property Management approves an applicant who has had a bankruptcy and/ or credit problems they will be required to make advance rent payments, or double the deposit or have a cosigner.

What do I have to do to move out of the property?

To officially begin the move-out process, you need to send or bring in a written thirty-day notice. Go to the Tenant button on our web site and complete the Notice to Vacate Form and fax or email it to us. Also print out a copy of the Move Out Instruction sheet.

This notice to vacate must be submitted at the time that your term of lease has expired in the event that you decide not to or do not have the option of lease renewal.

Can I rent a carpet cleaner and clean the carpets myself?

No. A professional carpet cleaning company must clean the carpets. A copy of the receipt should be brought in to your property manager. 

When does the thirty days Notice to Vacate start?

The 30 day Notice of Vacate becomes valid when it is received in our office, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, or Saturday from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

Can I move out before the thirty days is up?

Yes, once you have sent in the thirty-day notice you make take as much or as little of that time as needed. However, you are responsible for rent payment for the entire thirty days unless an approved tenant moves into the home during that time. If this occurs, the difference will be refunded to you.

Do I need to be present for a move out inspection?

No, the property managers will conduct the move out inspection. You will be notified of the results when you receive the Disposition of Security Deposit that will make note of any damage to the property. Please go to the navigation button labeled Tenant Forms/Services to obtain the Move Out Instruction sheet and Notice to Vacate form.

How do I get my full security deposit back?

There are a number of things that must take place to receive a full refund of the security deposit. All wall-to-wall carpeting and window coverings need to be professionally cleaned, with the receipts submitted to California Realty Experts Property Management for verification. The interior of the home must be cleaned thoroughly; only the property manager will determine cleanliness.

Please click onto the navigation button labeled Tenant Forms/Services and read the Move Out Instruction sheet. If you want California Realty Experts Property Management to recommend an approved vendor please call 909-289-2475 for a list of vendor names.

How long after I move out, can expect to receive my security deposit?

You will receive your security deposit within twenty-one (21) days of the end of your rental period. This is determined to be: when all keys and garage door openers have been returned to California Realty Experts Property Management, and expiration of the lease has occurred. If expiration of the lease has not occurred and the keys and garage door openers have been returned - you have not reached the end of the rental period. You will be sent an Itemized Disposition of your security deposit, which will state all the charges and any remaining funds from your security deposit which will be returned to you. The remainder of the deposit will be sent along with the Disposition. If a balance is due to the owner, it must be submitted within fifteen days or the account will be sent to collection.

Special circumstances apply in the event a lease has been broken. The security deposit may be held until a new tenant has been found for the property.

Can I break the lease before it has expired?

When you sign the lease before moving into the home, it is binding, so although breaking a lease is possible, it does carry consequences. Read the lease carefully before signing it, and be aware of the responsibilities of renting a home. Typically, you would be responsible for all cost to re-lease the property including advertising, lease up fees, etc.

How do I dispute the Disposition?

If you choose to dispute the Itemized Disposition of Security Deposit, you must do so within fifteen days of receipt thereof. Check your lease, any addendums, and the welcome notice given to you at the time you signed the lease for further information.

When is rent due?

Rent is due on the first of each month, and will be considered late if not received in the office prior to close of business on the fifth. When a check is mailed, it is not considered late if it is postmarked by the third of the month.

If a tenant is late with the payment, a Three Day Notice to Pay or Quit will be sent out, and you will receive a late fee equal to eight to ten percent of the full month's rent. An Unlawful Detainer will be sent if the tenant fails to pay within the allotted time period.

How can I pay my rent?

Rent will be accepted on-line, from this website in the “Tenant Portal”.

Can I set up automatic deductions from my bank account?

Yes! Automatic (ACH) payments automatically deduct the current amounts due on the payment due date. The ACH payments will continue until you cancel it. All you need is fill out the Pre-Authorized Payment Agreement, which can be obtained at our office. Return the completed form to California Realty Experts Property Management along with a voided check at least 10 days prior to your first payment and you're all set!

What is the late fee policy and eviction process?

Rent is due on the first of every month. There is a five-day grace period. The rent is considered late after the fifth of the month and a late fee is then assessed. The late fee is equal to eight to ten percent of the rent amount of your property and is due with the rent. If your rent is short, there will be a late fee incurred.

If you are late on your rental payment you will receive a Three Day Notice to pay as required by Tenant Landlord law. This legal notice will explain that if you fail to pay your rent within the three-day time frame indicated within this letter, California Realty Experts Property Management will begin eviction proceedings in the local courts.

California Realty Experts Property Management’s policy is to only file in the courts for a judgment/eviction once per tenant/property during the term of a tenant's tenancy. Once California Realty Experts Property Management files in court for a judgment, the tenant must bring their account current and pay all outstanding rent, late fees, legal fees, outstanding utilities and any outstanding balance owed in their account.

If the tenant fails to pay rent a second time and requires a second court filing for a judgment or eviction, California Realty Experts Property Management will proceed to file in court even if the money is tender to satisfy the rent, with the intention of evicting the tenant.

How does California Realty Experts Property Management handle Utility Billing?

Applicants must put all gas, electricity, water, and trash into their names BEFORE keys will be given at lease signing. If you are putting a security deposit down on a home, ask the receptionist for the list of utility phone numbers so you can schedule them in your name effective your desired move in date. At lease signing we will ask you for confirmation numbers or receipts from the utility companies and we will call to verify that all utilities have been placed into your name before keys will be released.

What is the age limit to apply for a lease?

No one under 18yrs of age can apply as a principal to a residential leasing agreement. All individuals 18yrs of age and older must complete the application even if they are only residents of the property and not a principal.

Do I have to have some form of verifiable rental history?

No, it is not a necessity but verifiable rental history or mortgage payment history does add to your desirability as a tenant. Cancelled checks, money order stubs, your old lease agreement and / or a letter will help in this verification.

Can I have pets and what is your pet policy?

It is at the owner's discretion to determine if he/she will allow pets in their rental homes. Some owners will not allow any pets; others will approve only small dogs, while others will allow a dog of any size. Some owners will allow only one pet and others will allow multiple pets. Some owners will allow cats, some will not, and others will allow cats only if they have been declawed and spayed or neutered.

There is an additional security deposit required when a tenant has a pet. This additional security deposit averages approximately $375 per animal. An increase in your base rent may also be required. The incremental increase in the security deposit will be due on the move-in date.

You will be required to complete a questionnaire in regards to your pet prior to acceptance of the animal. Any damage to the property or to the neighbor's property that is caused by your pets, will be the sole responsibility of the tenant.

Can I get a pet after move-in?

No, not without the prior approval of the owner of the home. A $375 pet deposit will be charged for each pet at that time, and the pet will be added to the lease. Finding a pet without prior approval are grounds for termination of your rental agreement.

Can I install cable or satellite at my property?

Generally, yes. However, you must obtain a consent form signed by your property manager. The cost of installation is the tenant's responsibility. Some HOAs do not allow the satellite dish to be visible from the front of the home or from the street.

Do I need Renter's Insurance?

Yes! The owner's insurance does not cover the property or the tenant's possessions. Typically, renter's insurance is very affordable.

What am I responsible for maintaining?

Tenants are responsible for replacing air conditioner filters, filling water softener, and replacing light bulbs and smoke detector batteries. Smoke detector batteries should be changed twice a year or more if needed. Proper yard maintenance and watering is required as well. Tenant shall property use, operate and safeguard the premises. Tenant shall pay for repair of drain blockages or stoppages, unless caused by defective plumbing parts or tree roots.

How do I get help for a maintenance problem?

All maintenance requests must be made in writing. Our most efficient way to report a problem is through our website in the “Tenant Portal”.  Fill out all of the required information and submit the form. At that time the work order is immediately sent and received by our repairs department and a vendor will be notified to contact you. Another option is to come in to our office and fill out a work order request form in writing.

Does California Realty Experts Property Management allow sub-leasing?

No, we do not allow sub-leasing in our properties. Please contact our office for other options.

What is an HOA (Home Owners Association) and how does it apply to tenants?

Some neighborhoods have casual HOA's and some have very formal HOA'S. Homeowners associations are created by builders and developers to help ensure that all homeowners living in a particular neighborhood will take care and pride in their home ownership. The HOA 's purpose is to monitor the neighborhood and make sure that everybody is keeping their yards clean, removing trash cans from the curbs, not setting up business in their homes, not parking on the sidewalks or having loud and annoying parties. These are just some examples of items that an HOA tries to control.

To do their job, an HOA employee drives throughout the neighborhood several times a month looking for infractions. Once they find a home that is in violation of the HOA rules, they send out a letter of violation to the owner. This letter is usually followed up with a second letter within ten days, if the problem has not been addressed and fixed.

As the tenant living in a home where there is an active HOA, you are responsible for a violation that occurs at your rental property.

Once the HOA informs the homeowner, California Realty Experts Property Management will send you a written notice to fix the problem. If the problem is not fixed within seven to ten days, the HOA will access the owner a fine. These fines can range between $50 and $250. Once you have been notified and if you have not fixed the problem, you the tenant will be responsible for paying this fine.

What is California Realty Experts Property Managements policy regarding pest control?

Our policy regarding spraying for insects is that the owner will provide one spray by a professional company; thereafter it is the tenant's responsibility and cost for each subsequent spray.

How do I check for registered sex offenders?

Go to www.familywatchdog.us it is the sole responsibility of each prospective tenant to determine if the neighborhood they are interested in renting and living, meets their standards. California Realty Experts Property Management does not do a criminal or sex offender search on the neighborhoods where our rental homes are located.

Where is your office located?

California Realty Experts Property Management is centrally located within Temecula. Our office is located at 31963 Rancho California Rd. #200, Temecula, CA.

Office hours are 10:00a.m. -6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday

What is the policy on roommates?

Every adult with a different last name that applies to reside in a rental home must pay California Realty Experts Property Management a $30 credit check fee when submitting the rental application. Married couples or couples that have joint credit must pay a $30 credit check fee when submitting the rental application.

If roommates have to move and want to be taken off an existing lease, the new replacing roommates must sign an addendum to be added to the lease. The new roommates must also have their credit checked and qualify as an applicant. The security deposit will not be refunded until the end of the lease term and then will only be distributed to the current names that appear on the lease.

Does California Realty Experts Property Management accept Section 8 housing?

Currently, Section 8 Housing is determined by the property owner and housing requirements.

How long is the standard lease?

Most of our leases are for one year minimum. We do accommodate the United States Military men and women by providing them with a Military exemption, which allows them to break a lease if the government transfers them to another station outside of Riverside County.

Rental Application

Interested in one of our properties?

Apply online